An underdog for months, Sen. John McCain became the clear Republican favorite for president Tuesday, winning impressive coast-to-coast victories in New York, Illinois and California and taking a commanding lead in delegates.
"Tonight, I think we must get used to the idea that we are the Republican Party front-runner for the nomination for the presidency of the United States," McCain told cheering supporters in Phoenix as Super Tuesday drew to a close.
The Arizona senator, whose campaign for the White House was all but declared dead six months ago, won Missouri, New Jersey and his home state. McCain also finished first in Connecticut, Delaware and Oklahoma.
The night's biggest loser undoubtedly was former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who trailed in all but a handful of the states and lost the battle for conservative, evangelical voters to ex-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
An ordained Southern Baptist minister, Huckabee showed surprising resilience by posting a string of victories in the South, including the Bible Belt states of Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and his home state.
I definitely think McCain was an Underdog. I was actually not surprised by McCain but I also though Huckabee would at least take second place. But you saw what happened at the Super Bowl everyone exept me were rooting for the Patriots. But the Giants being the underdogs won and pulled off the biggest upset. Go NY!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment